Friday, September 25, 2009

My food choices

I love eating. I love food. Bouffe in french means food. Yes, it does.

I think my diet is usually healthy. Yes, of course, I do eat the occasional potato chips, or the odd chocolate bar, or some candies. Fries, burgers, hot dogs, onion rings... Of course I eat that stuff. I'm human. I have a HUGE sweet tooth. And I like junk food.

But I think generally, I eat healthy. The food I've been eating this week are very reflective of how I've been eating everyday of my life. I do eat lots of veggies and fruits. I love fish and chicken, although I do crave red meat once every week or so. I don't eat lots of processed food - I almost never buy premade cakes and cookies and all of that stuff. And while I like the stuff, I NEVER buy pop. I KNOW that's all I'd want to drink if it was in my house. So I just plain don't buy it. I buy ginger ale when one of us is sick, and that's it.

I have chosen to eat organic foods as much as possible. It has not always been that way in my life, but now that there are more and more GOOD organic foods available, I go for that as much as possible. If I want strawberries and there are no organic ones, or they don't look good, I just don't buy them. I'll buy the organic kiwis instead, or the organic pears. I buy organic dairy products, organic eggs, and I'd say half of the meat I buy is organic. Organic meat is SO expensive, but it's worth it... It taste so much better, for starter. If I can't find organic meat, I go for the stuff that has no antibiotics, free range, etc, as much as possible.

I do eat REAL sugar. DO NOT talk to me about aspartame, sucralose and all the other sugar replacement crap. IT'S POISON. And it taste awful. EEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW. I have come to reduce the amount of sugar I eat, so I feel comfortable eating real sugar when I want to. Maple syrup, honey are my fav. Brown and white sugar, too. I tried Stevia, but I can't say I love it.

I do eat REAL butter. I hate hate hate margarine. It use to be that I could justify eating butter because there was so much trans fat in the margarine. Now that that has changed, I cannot say anything else other than I prefer butter. Besides, we don't eat lots of it. At 4 in my family, a pound of butter lasts close to a month...

And I eat products that contain fat. Do not talk to me about buying fat free yogourt for example. They replace the fat with more sugar, gelatin, sucralose and other sugar replacements (often 2 or 3 of them at the same time). If there are lower fat options that don't contain more sugar or more crap than the regular stuff (olive oil mayo comes to mind), of course that's what I go for. But if my option is between full fat something and fat free something + added crap, I go for the full fat stuff and just don't eat as much of it. That being said, I can't say I buy a lot of stuff that contains huge amounts of fat to begin with. It's 2% milk here, 2% yogourt, olive oil mayo, lean meat (fish, pork, chicken are the regular meats in my house), etc...

Perhaps that is why I carry some extra weight, and have a hard time loosing it. But my goal here, my ULTIMATE GOAL here is to be HEALTHY, have healthy eating habits and give my kids those healthy habits. Loosing weight is the extra bonus...

No comments:

Post a Comment